Monday, May 19, 2014

This weekend was about Jenny

Jerry called me up Saturday to ask if I would be going to the Airshow at Quonset Point. Airshow? That's a June thing. Well they moved it. Now, I try to go every year, but with the ankle and knee issues there is no way I would be able to walk around all day, hell, standing would be painful, so I declined.

Let me step back a moment here...

Last week I stopped in at Mike's and talked to Cliff, I set up a appointment for Jenny's 15,000 mile service on Saturday. As of Friday night they were calling for heavy rain all day Saturday. To be honest I don't think I have ever met a bike rider who looks forward to rain. I do ride in the rain, not usually by choice, I have had some great times in the rain, like coming down out of Goshen Ct. and having two thunderstorms closing on us from the north and west and running headlong into another in Middletown. Riding home from the Padre's in Branford at night, or the Poker Run me and Danny did when there was so much water it felt like you were trying to breath in a pool. For the most part though, I don't see a storm coming and yell "Yippee!"  
I walked outside Saturday morning and the rain was just ending, the sun was out bright and warm...straight up, in every other direction there were dark clouds. I dragged Jenny out and hit the road. the problem with rain this time of year is it is cold, and there isn't enough ambient temperature to warm you up once you get wet and cold. So I flew west on 184 and I-95 watching the black clouds heading east towards me. I stopped at Micky D's on Colman in new London for coffee and not wanting anything Micky Foodish I had a oatmeal. Still not raining I continued on to Mikes new store in the old Coca Cola Bottling plant. I arrived at 8:30am and drove into the building, having the service drive in really beats the old location. Inside I was warm, and dry having beat the rain and I was fine sitting there waiting for the bike if it were to be, as the predicted, a crappy rainy day. The clouds came, the clouds went, the sun came out, it was a beautiful day for riding....and I sat at the dealer.

 It was a good thing I had the oatmeal because even with that I was starving waiting for the bike. Jenny was completed at 1pm and I hit the road to Norms. I normally don't eat at norms any more, there is something about the fat cook that works there at night picking his nose and rubbing his ass before he reaches in and grabs your dog or burger I find as unappetizing. Luckily the two guys working the grill were a little more sanitary and the food was really good, best I have had there in years. I cruised around local roads after lunch until about 4, when I went home.
Nat came over to do some work on the house and Pizza. we threw out tons of things, there were pots and pans I have not seen in years. I was not aware we ever owned a griddle pan, or two pressure cookers, I didn't know we had a cast iron cauldron, and that the cabinet the pots and pans were in extended back further than a person could reach. Even lying on the floor reaching in I had to use a yard stick to pull stuff out. Who ever it is that comes around taking the metal out of the construction dumpster out front is going to think he struck it rich.

How many people in your house?
How many friends do you have?
How many coffee cups do you really need? 
I threw out 4 boxes full.

Who among you have a Jelly strainer?

Who among you use a Jelly strainer?

Who among you even knew what the hell it was.

I found a box of drinks stirrers from Howard Johnsons. When was the last time you saw one of those restaurants?, 28 flavors.

Back to where I started, Saturday evening Jerry called about the Airshow, I declined because of leg issues, but when I woke up Sunday at 5am I thought, I don't have to go to the airshow, I can just go for the ride, when I get there break off. So I called him...he told me he wasn't sure they were going. So I jumped on Jenny and headed to the Diner for breakfast. After eating I took I-95 north (east) into Rhode Island, jumped onto route 3 at exit 4. then hooked a right on Division road just before the I-95 over pass at exit 6. Division took me to route 2 in East Greenwich. Route 2 took me into Providence the 44 into East Providence. Working my way north because of Lack of Helmet I skirted the Massachusetts State Line through Pawtucket, Central falls, Cumberland, 114 took me to Woonsocket, then back roads to Chepachet, had lunch about 1:30pm at Depetrillos Pizza and Bakery. Do you know what's at Chepachet? It's where the Putnam Pike (route 44) crosses the Victory Highway (route 102)...that's about it.At this point I turned back to Providence on route 44. I jumped onto 116 from 44 and headed south through North Scituate then took route 14 west and back to the Plainfield pike (102). Turned onto 14 then 14A in Oneco then it was route 49 to Voluntown. While the Sun was out it was a great ride, once the clouds rolled in it got a tad cool and on Jenny with my arms out straight the wind blows right up the sleeves then down the back. As I cruised down 49 I passed a black Camaro in a driveway, as I continued down the road, I noticed the Camaro was playing catch up, so being safety minded and courteous I extended the gap. The car caught up with me at the intersection of 49 and 49 (165/49). As it pulled up I hear this girl's voice yell out my name, Bonnie was hanging out the window. We chatted a couple moments, she'll text she said, we parted. I cruised 49 to Hodge Pond road on that end, Gilliver road on the other to route 201. 201 down through the twists, down Cossaduck, route 2, 201 to Old Mystic and 184 home. It was great to spend a whole day on the bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment