Monday, May 26, 2014

I have been told that there are people out there following this blog and asking the question :Why?

Why Trains?

Or to be more accurate, the bikes, tattoos, girls, and all that go together...What the F@#$ is with the trains?

Simple...

I like trains. Through out the 80's 90's and 00's I was riding around State to State shooting videos and still photos of trains, maintenance depots, old stations and towers, plus work equipment and railroad people. New York, New Jersey, Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Vermont, Rhode Island, Yes even Connecticut.

It is a hobby, I can even tell you how it came about, One year 1981 to be exact, I found out what it meant to be an adult. I was 21, and that year for Christmas not only did I not get any toys, I didn't get anything, Nada, Nothing, not even socks or underwear. So, I went out in search of a toy. I came across a small HO train set, I bought it, it grew into a Monstrosity with freight yards, double mainlines, signal lights, eggshell construction mountains hills and tunnels. It even had stone walls, made by placing one tiny real rock on top of another and gluing them in place. The layout stretched the entire length of the basement and about half the width (that's roughly 41 feet in length) What I was into at that time was fire Department photography and videos, I spent many a day, or a night or a weekend in South Providence RI, Boston Massachusetts, or running up through Tenements in the South Bronx, Harlem, Brooklyn and Queens to catch the action. One day I was standing in Palmer Massachusetts and a Conrail freight train went by, not at the slow crawling pace I was used to down on the Shoreline but at 50 miles and hour, the ground shook under the weight, the engines were spewing black smoke out the stacks, Giants lived.  

So much for the train set.




No comments:

Post a Comment