Tuesday, May 20, 2014

I don't recommend it. But I do.

After receiving my ticket for not wearing a safety belt while driving a motor vehicle I arrived at the test center eight minutes late. Explaining what happened and the resulting fine my tardiness was laughed off with a few comments on the financial condition and political management of the great City of New London. Luckily, I don't live within it's confines. I was there to have tests done to find if I suffer from nerve issues, pinched or otherwise concerning my lack of strength and pain in may legs ankles and knees. What I was there for was nerve conduction study and EMG (Electromyogram). Both these tests are a absolute joy. The first given was the conduction test, electrodes are attached at your lower leg and feet. As the assistant takes a miniature taser and positions it at different locations on your nerve areas in the leg. The two prongs are pretty much pressed into your leg and while this is not so bad along the thigh or calf, when it is wedged into the soft tissue at the back of the knee it is a tad painful, but there is more to come. While the technician holds the taser the doctor starts sending electrical pulses into your leg. Each click of the dial increases voltage, the muscles jump as the pain increases with each increment. It was such a wonderful feeling I asked the assistant when the questioning would begin. he replied with, "Tell us!!! What is the combination to the safe? 







Once that is done, and I can tell you, you are glad when it is, they move to the EMG portion of the test. This is done by a series of punctures made with a needle probe,each one fells like a hypodermic shot, except that they move the needle around in your leg while they have you flex, tighten and release different muscles. If you don't like shots, and I don't, you won't appreciate this test. But I have to say, after the Conduction test, this was a breeze.








All said and done I am glad it was done. The problem is muscular and not Nerve related. A look at a previous MRI (2009) determined that the herniated disc is not bad enough to be causing the issues, but a current MRI is planned just to make sure. The cause of the muscle problems can be many and further tests are required to determine the cause. It could be anything from Diabetes (which with the blood tests done is not the cause), to Thyroid or other gland issues to something as simple as vitamin deficiency. What I have is Asymmetrical Muscular Myopothy. The muscles are losing strength, not an Atrophy or loss of muscle mass, but a weakness of the muscles.

So stay tuned.

I will also say here that I rode Jenny most of Saturday and all Sunday and my legs and ankles felt great through this morning. After the Doc's the pain and weakness are back. When I told my department director at work this he told me to "drop the Doc, and grab the Harley.

No comments:

Post a Comment