Sunday, May 22, 2016

This is not the first visit from nature in my house.

Tonight's invasion was the first of a four legged manner, but there have been two legged invasions before, more correctly two winged ones.

For a number of years my LP Gas tank was the nesting site of a family of Carolina Wrens. Three years to be exact, but they disappeared one year never to return, I hate to believe it but I think the cat finally got them. It is a shame, they have a very distinctive song and for the size of the bird, very loud.  The birds had a habit of hanging around the wrought iron metal work on my back steps, they would perch up there and sing. One day while watching television, before the living room was rearranged, I caught a flutter in my peripherals and turned to find one of the wren had flown down to the kitchen entrance way and was sitting on the lip looking around, then satisfied they was no danger, it burst into run into the kitchen, over to the cats dish, grabbed some dry cat food and hoofed it back to the door and took off. This actually became a regular event, any time the door was propped open. 



One day I was in the living room and could hear the wren singing, then all of a sudden the song was amplified, I got up and found it sitting on the kitchen faucet singing away. Now, the smart thing to do would be to have left it alone to leave, But, I am a firm believer in nipping bad behavior in the bud. I mean running in and stealing food is one thing, using my house as a sound stage is another. Not to mention birds have a tendency to crap where they sing and I did not want that to become a everyday event. So..I charged the bird to chase it out of the house. Funny thing about wild animals, they don't usually do what you expect them to do. If you or I were to invade an area we would first plan a line of retreat, not so with animals, their first instinct usually includes a radical run in any direction other than out. With a bird this means before you can actually get them to leave they have a tour of every room in the house. Finally after about 20 minutes I got the bird to fly out the now propped open front door. 

The neighbor told me afterwards, "Bad Luck you know."  
"What?" I asked.
"It's bad luck if a bird flies into your house but doesn't leave the same way it entered".

Who cares, the way I saw it was that the bird was outside where it belonged, and knowing that bird, it didn't fly in anyway, it flew down, walked in, looked around and then flew up to the faucet. 

By the way, if you want to hear a loud little bird, I found this Carolina Wren on YouTube.  I actually miss the singing.

No comments:

Post a Comment