Friday, March 21, 2014

not my neighbors favorite person.

Across the span of my pre-licence early years we had a number of motorcycles running the track around the yard. At first my father would complain because we were destroying the yard, but after a while he no longer said a word, I believe it was because now when he mowed the lawn he had a eight foot wide swath of dirt around the house where he no longer had to mow.

 Being kids we understood that a two cycle engine required a fuel oil mix, we understood this, we had no problem doing this. What we had problems with...was math. Two cycle oil came in a little bottle, on it was an instruction showing the gas/oil ratio, If memory serves it was a small number, like 2 or 3 to 1. Now that seems simple enough, 1 gallon of gas takes two or three parts of oil. The problem came in a few areas, first no one knew how big the gas tank was, we just filled it to the top. second we never really paid attention to how much we were adding, third none of us could figure out what 2 or 3 parts of a pint container of oil would be. In the minds of youth, there is a simple fix, add extra oil. Run out of two stroke oil? No problem, we have engine oil. The way we figured it was, if there was a plume of oil smoke coming out the tailpipe, it must be enough oil. The plumes were so great that on a windless day we would try to catch the exhaust plume from the previous lap. This day long, everyday, (Summer), exhaust smog bank wafted throughout the neighbors yards, making me real popular with them. The other thing that made me popular was electronics. I was out doing laps one day, about three hours into riding, my neighbor was waving to me from the fence. I pulled up to find out what she needed. She was a really nice tiny old lady. She asked me a question, "How come whenever you run the motorcycle it interferes with my television, it makes it all static?"  I told her, "Gee, I don't know, must be something to do with the coil maybe". At which point I sped off leaving her at the fence.
 I was never one to catch on to polite sublteness.

No comments:

Post a Comment