Sunday, July 19, 2015

Saturdays ride...Sundays Ride....Week end ride pt 1.

I had to get up early on a Saturday, I am not really happy getting up early any day but, you do what you must. The plan was to meet at the Mystic Diner at 6am for breakfast, my plan was to meet them at 7am since I did not plan on eating. The night before it dawned on me how much this plan would not work, the Mystic Diner doesn't open until 7AM, it would be rather useless for them to wait there an hour. So a few phone calls and the meet was reset for a 6 am meet at The Groton Townhouse on route 12. I arrived about 1/4 after 6 having decided coffee, toast and Bacon would be a good thing. We sat around talking and eating until hitting the road at 8am.

We crossed the Thames, ran up 32 to 395 and stuck with that into Massachusetts making one stop at the route 6 / route 395 split to top off tanks. The entire trip was over cast and occasionally hat a light mist or sprinkle, but what we found was we were always getting somewhere after it had rained, sometimes it appeared to have been a lot...

In Massachusetts 395 becomes 290 and we took that across to 495 making a stop in Haverhill for fuel. Then it was 495 to I-95 and north into New Hampshire...



There isn't too much to say about New Hampshire, we took I-95, we paid a Toll.


Once across the river into Maine we cruised north on I-95 and it seems the rest of the trip consisted of one bike breaking away often for Easy Pass and three bikes stopping for one to pay cash. I don't actually remember how many times I heard "You have to go through one at a time".

We took I-95 to Portland then picked up 295 to Brunswick where we picked up route 1. Route one took us on a scenery filled ride through Bath, Damariscotta, Rockland, Belfast, Bucksport, and Ellsworth on the way to Bar Harbor. We checked into the Colonial Inn, stored our belongings then took a ride to the waterfront in Bar Harbor. The rain that had been always just through before we got there decided to show up, it was a few light sprinkles on the ride down. Once there we did the touristy things, photos etc, the decided to get something to eat there rather than riding back to the Inn. Walking up the street with the bikes firmly situated on the pier parking area, the heavens opened up.  We ate diner to a bit of thunder rumbling and a bit of lightning. We finished eating, did some store tourist stuff and headed for the bikes, as we stepped out into the street the rain again, stopped. Three of us decided that since it seemed someone was looking out for us we would keep the faith and not suit up for inclement weather, One of us, (with little faith in the almighty) enshrouded himself in a rainsuit, including the little bootys. The ride back in the dark was in a light rain, I say light because arriving back at the Inn all I had was a damp forehead and knees. We didn't waste much time talking since it was close to ten, each headed for his own room, (except those of us who were a couple). I had the joy of walking up to my glass sliding door and having the neighbor stagger out and tell me' I hope we don't bother you too much tonight with the noise, I just got married. Yes the three rooms around mine were full of Wedding drunks. I never heard them, My head hit the pillow and I was gone....

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment