Monday, July 29, 2013

Changing times

I give you Elizabeth New Jersey.


I saw a photo in a magazine once, it was taken from a Central Of New Jersey track looking up at the Pennsylvania Railroad track. I always thought "that would be a great place to visit". Now I know the Pennsylvania Railroad is long gone, it became Penn Central, and Conrail and Amtrak. Somewhere in there New Jersey Transit was formed taking over commuter operations. I know the Central of New Jersey is gone, becoming Penn Central, Conrail and Amtrak. But two four track lines passing over each other is cool.

Cool...but redundant...So I took a trip to Elizabeth New Jersey. I don't know what I was expecting to find, perhaps the Pennsylvania Railroad (Amtrak) four track mainline still soaring above the Central of NJ tracks. I know I expected to find a reduced CNJ track plan, perhaps two tracks, still serving commuters or freights. What I found was Amtrak, Conrail, and New Jersey Transit flying over head, the train quantities were as busy as I thought they would be. What i wasn't ready for was the CNJ tracks...No commuters, no freight. The one remaining track disappears into the underbrush about a block away. The main station still stands (unused) the opposite side station a dirt parking lot.





Time marches on.

klay

No comments:

Post a Comment