Friday, September 26, 2014

My second car

Not counting motorcycles, the second vehicle I owned, excluding the 1958 Chevy Apache pickup I had to buy to acquire the windshield for my 1957 Chevy Half ton pickup that I shot out, was a 1967 Dodge Dart 4 door.

I paid $400.00 for it, the vehicle was a former State of Connecticut car still had the off color circles on the doors where the State Seal had been. The car was black and looked like an older State Police car, So much so in fact, that when it had blue lights (Fire Department) mounted on the rear package tray, (two rear facing flashers bracketing a Junior Rotor Beam), No one passed me when I was on the highway. I used to get in the center lane and cruise along at 55 and would form three lanes of cars behind me that would just sit there.

One day I decided, because the car was so oxidized, that I would hit the car with compound and bring that Black paint back to a shine. After vigorously rubbing the compound into a 5 inch strip along the drivers side roof, I noticed that the Oxidized paint coming off onto the rag wasn't black, it was green. At close inspection the car turned out to be metallic green oxidized to look flat black. needless to say, with the choice of stopping right there or compounding the entire car back to metallic green, the car stayed black. I told myself it would be too much of a pain going to DMV (department of Motor-vehicles) to have the color changed, in actuality I was not about to spend all that time and energy hand compounded and polishing and entire car.

Random blue 1967 4 door Dart shown




No comments:

Post a Comment