Sunday, July 17, 2016

It's amazing what a little panic can do for you...

I can't remember if I mentioned this, but the other day I left the house for work when I noticed...this





So, on my way home from work I picked up a can of Hornet Killer with a 25 foot spray pressure. I am happy to say that when I got home I discovered they were Yellow Jackets and not White Faced Hornets. I waited until 10 at night, figuring all the kids would be home and I could hit it with the spray. I have a problem with my knees and have a left foot which suffers from the beginnings of Drop foot,  those and a bad back and hips means I hobble pretty much everywhere I go, so killing them while they slept seemed like the right thing to do, not sporting, but right. The nest came apart leaving only dangling shreds of the outer material. Most of the outer layer and two cones were on the ground.

I awoke and went to work. After work I walked up to it and examined the extent of the damage, debris on the ground, dead hornets amoungst the debris, Good, I decided to kick the remainder off the side of the house. I kicked it and a swarm came flying out, it seems there was another cone under the lip that the spray hadn't hit.
Knees, hips, feet, ankles, and back, didn't matter, I found that I can still run when needs be, It was sort of a good feeling to find that out. I immediately switched to a brisk walk though, I have been told that hornets can get pulled along in your draft, pass you and be waiting for you around the corner.

I would like to add one more small detail, I went back outside with a can of Raid Hornet and Wasp spray. Unlike the jet stream stuff, Raid doesn't drop them out of the sky on contact, what it does is give them a nice shiny sheen, as they are flying around pissed off.


No comments:

Post a Comment