Wednesday, July 6, 2016

About a Hundred years ago I switch from 12 to 6

Twelve point sockets vs 6 point sockets.

Growing up all I had was 12 point sockets, then I found about 6 point sockets. A twelve point socket when a bolt is frozen can strip the bolt head or the socket when pressure is applied. A six point socket doesn't allow this to happen, unless you're an idiot and use the wrong size, but then if you do, why not just grab a pair of vise grips to do the  same thing.

With six points the bolt or nut is held firmly along the sides.
So why would anyone want to use a twelve point socket?

Now, along comes Harley Davidson, who for some reason uses six point nuts and bolts, Allen bolts, star bolts and twelve point bolts. Why?

I changed the rear brakes, two Allen sockets, done. I go to do the front brakes....





Ever heard of Standardization?

With these bikes my tool bag went from twenty pounds with a couple screw drivers, wire snips, a set of ratchet wrenches and a set of sockets and ratchet for my metric bike, to about 45 lbs with, since Harley has started using vendors for accessories which use metric sizes, a set of standard and a set of metric sockets, a set of standard and metric ratchet wrenches, a set of standard and metric Allen wrenches, a set of star drivers, a ratchet, then the screw drivers, wire cutters, vice grips, baling wire, lock tight, and a hammer.

I have learned not to carry any tools with me on the road, I use my Hog membership, Insurance, and credit card tow packages, the tools stay home. 

I had all the tools in a tool bag which rode in the left saddle bag, if you took your hands off the bars for any reason, the bike made a dive left.

No comments:

Post a Comment