Sunday, September 27, 2015

Sometimes you just need a little challenge

I decided, after a day of watching the house settle, that I needed to get out. I backed Charlene out and went for a ride up through Ledyard and North Stonington. Cruising down Shewville road and catching up with a cage, I decided to hook a left onto Wolf Neck rd. As I passed the vineyard, I ran into ground fog, (A curious term, since all fog is on the ground or over water, if it were higher it would be a cloud). Anyway, it was unusual in that the fog was pretty tick but it was low, it was over the headlight but didn't quite reach the windshield, for a moment or two is was like the motorcycle was submerged, the headlight diffused and a bow wave was washing over the fairing. Like I said, it didn't last long and as I approached the small drop for the bridge over Whitford brook, I was totally immersed in the cloud. 

As I crossed the small bridge I felt the front tire dig in, as if it went from rolling to plowing. The entire bike was drifting sideways. It turns out, someone in the Department of Traffic had decided that what Wolf Neck road needed was a good dose of loose gravel, I hit it right in the center lane berm. For a few seconds it was a little washy, and limited visibility. Once the fog cleared and I approached Lantern Hill road, I could see they spread the gravel right across the intersection and continued up Wolf Neck, I opted for Lantern Hill road. 

Don't get the wrong idea, I have driven in loose stone before, often a lot deeper than this was, but there are usually signs out letting you know what you are heading for, and I have never hit it before in fog.

A new experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment