Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Line Shaft







Most people call this system "Belt Drive" when actually it is a "Line Shaft" system. In other words a engine rotates a central shaft and that shaft will power tools by belt.  The central shaft can also power other shafts by belt or gear allowing those shafts to drive belts for tools.

I am fortunate in that I don't have to go to a museum to see this system. There is a shop "Welles Machine Shop" in Old Mystic Ct that still has this system. The shop has actually been out of business for years, but the equipment is still operated by the owner (grandson of original owner) on private or personal projects.
When my Grandfather came over from Germany between the two World Wars he worked for Mister Welles as an apprentice. As a matter of fact in my grandfathers shop there was everything from electric hacksaws, belt drive drill presses, band saws, metal benders, and lathes to table saws metal rollers and a forge. All of which he worked with. The wrought iron railings on the back of my house were made by my grandfather. 

No comments:

Post a Comment