Tuesday, December 3, 2013

it's a DISEASE!!!

It's like the Black Plague!!! (probably all that leather)

On November 21. 2013 United States Representative Tim Walberg (Republican - Michigan) sent a letter to the "CDC",  Centers of Disease Control, in particular the "Community Preventive Services Task Force" asking if they were trying to reduce motorcycle ridership by pursuing a Federal Mandatory Motorcycle Helmet-Use Law. The letter was sparked by a presentation at a Task Force meeting in October of this year.

The presentation included slides, one of which linked the adoption of the proposed Federal helmet use law to a potential reduction in motorcycle ridership. Essentially, Less riders - less injuries and fatalities.

So this brings a person to ask, at what point does this Task force stop at trying to reduce ridership, and what jurisdiction the "Centers for DISEASE Control" has over an issue which has nothing to do with diseases. Approving the mandating of helmet use for the simple reason of making riding less enjoyable for thousands of riders, and thereby reducing the number of people riding, would lead a person to believe there may be more steps taken later. 

What agency has the right to try to take away your Right to enjoy a form of recreation and a mode of transport that is easier on fuel usage than automobiles. 

The AMA (American Motorcycle Association) is an advocate of helmet use, but even they are questioning the proposed reduction of riders. In the AMA's position they would like the law to be enacted for safety reasons not for a ridership decrease. 

The truth of the matter is, there will be a reduction in ridership, it stands to reason, some persons who find one of the greatest pleasures of riding a motorcycle is the freedom it brings, and the feeling of the wind in your face will most likely find other means of entertainment.  

klay
As for myself when I began riding in the early 70's I wore helmet, I adopted the helmet-less mode of cruising later on  and found it to be fantastic. As for giving up riding if a  mandatory law was put in effect... possibly, I hate the way a half  or 3/4 helmet catch the wind and force your head around  (makes my eyes bounce). If I were made to wear a full face  helmet...I would probably sell the bikes, I am too claustrophobic  to be sealed in with plastic 1/2 inch from my nose.  I guess I  would have to buy a Convertible. It was after all trying one of  those on a test drive that brought me back into bikes, the "Hey I  remember what it was like to have the wind in my hair (so  called), but two wheels would be better." point of my life.

kl

No comments:

Post a Comment