Friday, June 24, 2016

started sanding the floor upstairs, just before the flood

Started sanding the floor upstairs just before the flood

The bathroom renovation is to be the last thing done, that was 
before we decided to rip out the kitchen counter and cabinets and
 install a center island. That will be the last thing done, right after
 the bathroom. After finishing upstairs and before the bathroom 
will be the library (den). This should put us in the bathroom
 around November, four months, maybe five. So, why couldn't
 it wait?

I came downstairs from sanding, which it turns out will have to
 be the entire floor and won't be with the vibrating sander, I walked
 into the bathroom to a distinctive splashing sound. The floor was
 soaked, but the toilet wasn't running, and neither was the shower
 or the sink. I checked each area then found the wall around the tube
 was wet at about two feet up. A wave of the hand revealed an
 invisible line of water shooting under pressure from the feed pipe
 to the toilet. The center of the valve itself had a pin hole so shutting
 it off did no good.  A check in the basement found a puddle and
 water dripping down from the toilet area, the laundry chute and the
 base level heating duct.  The area collecting the water was the same
 area we decided to stack all the boxes of items from upstairs which
 I have yet to decide on, luckily we set all the boxes on two side by
 side pallets.



I was asked to take a ride to Somers this evening and I'm glad I didn't
 or there would have been more of a mess. I shut the water off, 
grabbed a mop and went to work.

I called the plumber, I am not good at plumbing and I suck at 
working in tight areas. Time and a half after 5 pm by the way.

Both the plumber and I were a little confused as to why when the
Pex was run in the house they left 10 inches of copper going up 
through the floor instead of switching it all out.

As you can see the new pipe is no longer copper, and you can
 see why the bathroom will be attacked almost last, it will be 
the most work and the most money. The plan is to eliminate the 
tub for a shower, replace the sink, the laundry chute and the toilet
 along with replacing wall sections and installing a double gazing
 window, and replacing the floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment