Friday, June 24, 2016

Revelations

I look forward to every other Friday, for me every other Friday is a half day. The thought of leaving at noon brightens my day, so much so it even produces smiles on Thursdays when I think of it. Unfortunately there is a reason for the Friday half day, it means I will be here six hours, by myself, on Saturday. Saturdays come in two types, there are the balls out (1*Steam engine term) full blown, busy as hell type of day where the service department, the retail customers, and the phones drive you nuts from the minute you walk in the door, or more the usual type of day where there are two guys in the shop, both are watching youtube, no one shows up and I sit and stare at the walls the whole day. The second type lately has been the more predominant. There are a few reasons this second type of day sucks, first the six hours feel like ten. You don't make any money for the company to even cover turning the lights on let alone pay you to be there, which makes it really easy to wonder why you are there at all.

But, that is tomorrow, right now the sun is shining, the air smells fresh and clean and I am outta here in three and a half more hours.
Jenny is waiting for me at home to go out riding, the roads beckon, the smells of late Spring wait to entice me. of course none of that really matters, I am going to go home, install the room AC upstairs, get down on my knees trim the moldings, and sand the floor in preparation for poly.   

But it's like they say, a bad day anywhere else is better than a good day at work, that is as long as you do have a job to pay the bills.


1* Balls out: Governor on a steam engine meant the engine was running at full speed. when the balls raised above a certain height they bring the control rod up closing a steam valve which would keep the engine speed from running away.






No comments:

Post a Comment