Tuesday, January 21, 2014

every year, a little more...whimpy

I used to hate it when I would get a snow day off from school and my mother would tell me how she used to walk to school in the rain, in the snow, in the Blizzard of the Century. During the 1938 Hurricane both parents had walked to school that morning, and as the storm was rolling in the schools opened the doors and sent them home. Could you imagine that happening today, there would be lawsuits flying all over the place, "What do you mean you let MY child walk home in a storm?"

As I was growing up, snow days weren't as available as today, I remember walking across the street, cutting through the neighbors yard, taking a short cut through a small section of woods, (which became packed snow to ice, slippery by mid winter as the path was part of the sledding run we had from the top of the neighbors hill), cutting through another yard and waiting for the bus on the street below. Many a rainy sleety or snowy day I made that trek, I remember Melissa, my neighbor (and my first kiss, and first patient (doctor :})) wearing a mini skirt as the snow fell and telling me it was ok, she wasn't cold because she was wearing nylons.  (a snow day required a certain depth of snow to be reached).

Today, If you have a child, you have a bus stop, the bus stops at every driveway a child lives at to pick them up and drop them off. If someone mentions snow, panic arises. This morning the purple haired girl next door is standing at the end of her driveway waiting for the bus, and the radio is listing, early dismissals.

The snow? Starts later today, and slams us over night, safe to say they will be off tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment