Friday, October 25, 2013

Good morning bikers

I awoke this morning in my normal manner, utter SHOCK, as both the alarm clock and cell phone announced the coming of the new day. I sprang from my bed...OK...this isn't a Christmas story and I don't Spring. I rolled over put my feet on the floor and made my normal morning greeting to the cat, "ehhhhhhhh".

I threw on the television, made a cup of coffee with my new Keurig, which I didn't drink, I showered shaved, got dressed and flopped in front of the television. There were approximately a hundred things I wanted to do today, and the one thing I knew I had to do, I didn't want to, go to work. But, it pays the bills. I let the cat out, threw on my chaps, jacket, hat, and gloves and went out into the world. Both Charlene and Jenny had spent the evening outside and were sporting evidence of the fact. I had planned of riding Charlene but the seat had been the recipient of a birds gift, from the size of the mess it may have been a California Condor.  So I decided on riding Jenny, I didn't really have time to clean Charlene. So still all toasty from being in the house and dressed in layers of leather I was ignorant of the temperature. I scraped the ice off Jenny's seat (to an intelligent person, this should have been some sort of, to use a writers term, foreshadowing) fired her up, jumped on and hit the road. Roughly about the time I arrived at the first stop sign, (200 feet down the road), I had an inkling that the ride may be a tad bit cool.
A mile down 184, I came to the realization that riding Jenny this morning was probably not the brightest thing I had ever done. With the apes on the bike the wind was blowing full force up my sleeves. By the time I made it to Center Groton, 2.7 mile according to Google Maps, I realized that I was an idiot. Not having heated grips, like Charlene, or a plug in for heated gear, like Charlene, my fingers were burning with the cold rather acutely. But being intrepid, spelled: stupid, I soldiered on. As I passed new England Cycle Works I found that the hat I had chosen, which because of the fairing and windshield on Charlene, is fine, on Jenny was not so wonderful. 

The hat is lined to keep your ears warm, but the face strap only covers your chin, leaving a rather full face area for wind to blow in, This means the hat has a tendency to blow off your head. The hat strap then drops around your neck and you end up with a wind collecting mini parachute trying to strangle you. 

I arrived at work a tad cold, my first duty for the  day was a trip to Ebay, I ordered a new AE Trapper Mohawk to replace the one that went through the dryer and came out ready to fit a Ken doll, 

A Russian military Afghan desert hat,

 and I also visited Gerbing and ordered an additional pigtail to wire Jenny for heat.  

I have also decided it's about that time for Charlene to make the New London Move. I may have Sandwich give me a ride home tonight and leave Jenny here. So after tomorrows ride, I will pull Charlene into the shop at work and park her, and ride Jenny home and put her in the shed.


klay

No comments:

Post a Comment