Saturday, August 24, 2013

Iron Adventure report...Short version

It's the short version because I am back home writing this and the event is still going on and the Club is still there. 
The Club's A.O.B. was at 9am yesterday, meeting at the no name gas station on route 32 at route 87, Franklin Connecticut.






 We took a great ride up, route 32 up through Connecticut into Massachusetts, Main Street Palmer to route 181, Route 181 took us to Belchertown and route 202. 202 took us north along the western edge of the Quabbin reservoir  through New Salem to Orange, where we picked up the Mohawk trail west.







 The turn was just in time, the next town would have been Athol, and I don't know about you but I have no wish to see the Athol of Massachusetts. Route 2 took us to route 91 which we followed into Vermont to Bellows Falls and then route 103 to Ludlow. We arrived at the Best Western and Checked in, here I have to say that the Lloretts are quick at comfort. One was lounging on the couch the other drinking coffee sitting in the flowers at the fountain as the wives checked in. 




Before you could blink Tom was in the pool wearing his sweater. As a matter of fact I believe he was the only one to go into the pool. Amazingly enough, about two hours later the pool man was using the skimmer and cleaning (I believe due to Sasquatch fur) the filter. 

After finding our rooms some of us took off through Ludlow and up Okemo, and around, and down, and up Okemo. (Lost), to register for the event.


Seeing as this was a first attempt, you can't say too much, but for being the second day of a three day event, you wouldn't think they would be out of some sizes of Tee shirts and sold out of Event Patches. 



After registering a few of us stepped outside to watch people at play and three members decided to ride the hill.









After registering we headed down town for gas, cash and beer, and beer. Liquor is not for sale in Ludlow so we headed back to the lodging for a few brew, then back on bikes for a ride to Cavendish for booze, a little smoked meat and to look at guns, knives and other interesting items. Booze in hand we rolled back into town for the much advertised American Legion Steaks. Arriving and parking we found at that they had run out of steaks, so Hoss, Boo, the Treasurer and myself walked across the street to Pot Bellys and had dinner there. There was some delay in the arrival of Boo's meal, the waiter apologized. Later he came back to the table to check on the drinks, Boo was about half done, the rest of us were drinking and talking, The waiter commented that there is one slow eater in every bunch.

 After dinner we headed back to the rooms, the four of us opened the Jack, cracked a few beers, kicked up a fire. From that point the group grew in number, the blood alcohol content rose and the volume with it. 























Danny had a small issue taking a leak, where he lost his balance, staggered down the hill, dropping his phone and had to climb his way back up. With the help of a couple flashlights his phone was found in the shiny wet grass. (The only shiny wet grass).


 I excused myself around 10:45 and headed off to bed, I sat on the floor to set the alarm clock, Independence day was on the tube, the next thing I knew there was a different movie playing and I was still sitting on the floor with my back to the bed. I didn't check the time, I just crawled onto the bed and crashed.

I awoke this morning at 5:50. climbed out of bed and headed to the can to deal with booze butt and get cleaned up. (If you don't know Booze Butt, then you don't drink and don't really want to know  If you do know it...No need to explain it). Done I stepped outside for a smoke, the area was littered with the debris of the night before. Doug was the only other living person up. 

The temperature had dipped into the 40's over night and because I hadn't planned on being there over night I did not have the correct cool riding gear, No chaps, but I did find a full pair of riding gloves in a saddle bag. I threw on a second shirt and leather jacket and headed out. temperature in the 40's and a rolling fog bank all the way to Chester, from there it was tree shade and over cast. Arriving in Bellows falls I got off the bike with stiff cold legs, staggered inside a Dunkin, had coffee and hit the road again.  I jumped on 91 south to Route 2 in Massachusetts, staggered off the bike again for gas, The legs were stiff getting back on, a guy putting gas in his truck told me he knew how I felt and that I was suffering from Oh El Dee. I told him I knew what it was and would prefer the Oh El Dee would go in remission. In Greenfield, out from under the Vermont Cloud cover the temperature was at 60. I ran route 5 south to South Deerfield and grabbed 91 again. Running through Northampton I was getting double vision, I guess there just wasn't enough sleep the night before. I rode along stareing at the taillights ahead of me and shaking off the blur and double images. I don't know how long I cruised like that, but at one point I felt the bike fall away, I opened my eyes to find I had drifted off the sleep and the bike was changing lanes. I grabbed the next exit. I crossed over the highway and found a gas station. I grabbed a danish, a coffee, some Reese's cups, and a 5 hour boost, looking for a kick start. I looked across the street at the highway signs, I-91 south across the bridge, I-91 north to Springfield ramp straight ahead. It took a moment to sink in, I was in Connecticut, I don't remember Springfield let alone Connecticut. But the temperature was great, Dropped the helmet, Jacket and gloves for the rest of the ride home, which was uneventful. Route 91 to Hartford, 84 to 2, 2 to 11 11 to 82, 82 to 85, 85 to 95, 95 to 184 and home.

klay

Post Script: More photos (great shots) expected from Mr. Young.
  
Post Post Script: A call from Ludlow as I finish this up, It is 5:51pm, There is kerosene for the fire, and the bottles are being opened as I type this.

No comments:

Post a Comment