Thursday, August 22, 2013

I had the New Speedo tach installed

Harley Davidson offers a Speedometer, Tachometer, Fuel Gauge  Gear indicator, light show for your non-touring Beastie.


The unit retails for $269.00 and is pretty much "plug and play". According to the instructions, the "estimated trip fuel feature will not operate on an '07 or earlier and that is correct, it also says that the gear indication ,(1-5 above the fuel gauge and 6 above the digital window) will not function on any model built before 2008. Not correct, my '07 has full gear indication, Which...is really nice.
 For lighting the unit has 600 color codes, each code number a different shade, and you can set different sections, differently. The first choice is "All" which changes the entire unit to which ever color code you choose, but toggle past that and you can set both gauge backgrounds to one color, the LCD digital panel at the bottom to another, and both needles can be set to different colors. Mine at the moment has the red background to match the seat, a blue LCD a Green speedo needle and a blue tachometer needle.

  At anytime you can change the colors or turn gear and fuel gauge features on or off, you just need the instructions...Ahhh...The correct instructions.

Here's a quick story and some instructions...

I had the unit installed and picked the bike up from the local Harley Shop.At home that night, because there is no way to tell outside in daylight, I found that the colors were set to Harley standard orange. I looked in the accessory box for the instructions and found nothing but the original speedo. The next day..Sunday, I returned to the dealer for the instructions, since Service was closed a salesman came up with the idea of opening a box from stock and making me a copy. I took the paperwork, issued my thanks and headed off down the road. On Monday I took the bike to work, pulled inside and set about changing the colors, step one read, "set ignition to accessory, press and hold both turn signals until "set up" is displayed in the LCD window". Now I am not the most intelligent person in the world, (sometimes (often) not in a room), but that was pretty straight forward, so I did it, and nothing. I tried again, I tried flipping the ignition to "run" and trying it, yup...the four way flashers work. I had a friend try it...nothing. So Tuesday I stopped back at the dealer, they had me bring it in and they tried it, VINDICATION, I am not a moron, it didn't work for them either. The Service Manager handed it off to a tech to make sure it wasn't a faulty head unit, nope, unit checked out, but the tech had no luck either. The Manager then pulled the Service repair order up to get the part number and made sure they had sold me the correct unit, it turned out they had. After about 15 minutes of the two of them playing with the bike, one of them, I don't know which, noticed that the part number listed on the instructions did not match the number they sold me. It turned out the salesman had grabbed a set out of a box for a different model bike, after all how was he to know. The Manager pulled up the instructions for the unit they sold me and...
"Press and hold the selector button on the side of the console until the LCD panel lights, set ignition switch to accessory, release selector button..."SET UP ON".

A not so quick..how to...

Press selector button... Fuel Gauge On :Toggle ignition to off and back to change from ON if not wanted.

Press selector button... Shift indicator appears: Toggle ignition to off and back to change from ON if not wanted.

Press selector button...Brightness appears: Toggle ignition to off and back to change brightness. use selector button to change intensity, Toggle ignition to off and back to save changes.

Press selector switch..."All display" appears and gauge scrolls through colors. If you want the entire gauge to be the same color Toggle ignition to off and back, LCD will show color number, using the selector button click through 600 colors, Once desired color is found Toggle ignition to off and back on to save setting.

If you are happy turn ignition switch off. 

If you want the gauges to be one color the needles another and the LCD another, press selector switch to continue.
Each press will highlight a section, using the selector switch scroll through the colors until you find the one you want then toggle the ignition to save each section.

I had red back ground set to match the seats, the truth is, if the gauge is illuminated, it's too dark to see the seat color. I had the speed needle set to neon green, the tach needle neon blue, and the LCD readout purple. It looked a little too "Rainbowish". I have changed the LCD to blue but it takes away from the Tach needle. So I will need to go in again. The great thing is you can change anything anytime.

The speedo kit comes with a diag cable to download the mileage info to the replacement head.

Easy peesy, quick and easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment