Friday, April 25, 2014

Ammo and Italian consumables

I took a cruise last evening to have diner with a friend at a local eatery, and since I was going there I decided to stop by the local Firearms dealer and pick up a few more rounds of 38cal ammo for plinking. Stopping in I found the ammunition I wanted and then started to look at what fine items I may want to pick up to have. The 44Mag looked pretty good as did the Glock 40cal. The dealer also had a WWI 1911 45 but at $3000.00 I saw it as a little pricey. They did have a couple antiques on hand though, a 1920s 380 Automatic, a antique pearl handled revolver and a miniature revolver. I could have bought the last three, but...to what point. Sure the old weapons are cool, but what good are they? It isn't like the old days where you could have them on display in a glass case, nowadays with all the anti firearm politicians and the laws they keep trying to stuff down our throats if the weapon isn't locked up in a safe it's a major crime. This makes no sense to me, it is just another attempt at making it difficult to own firearms because of legislation. In years past if someone broke in your house you could reach in your night stand and grab your protector, nowadays you have to stumble around in the middle of the night, dick with keys or combination codes, retrieve the weapon, load it then, and if you are still alive, defend yourself. It isn't like I have kids to worry about playing with a gun, I don't like kids and I don't plan on having any, they are noisy and they smell.

Anyway, back on subject. I decided it would be better to keep the small amount of money I have at this time and did not purchase a new handgun. The friend I had planned on having dinner with was unable to attend, something about being halfway across the country in potato land. I decided, what the hell, I world try out the Ristorante Italiano myself.

The restaurant was Ninos in Montville, route 32, in the same complex as the Outpost.

Walking in the place feels pretty much like all the area Italian pizzerias, wood trim, and a selection of pizzas displayed behind a glass counter, the type of place that attracts people who's home country prides itself on having an Automobile manufacturer that builds and races red cars. But while most of these places have tables and chairs which look like they had been stolen from someones kitchen, Nino's has a dining area off to the side. The other fact that helps is that I am in love with those red cars, Scuderia Ferrari.

Nino's has a nice selection of wines, a limited selection of beers, but since I like two of those on the list I was OK with the place. Nino's menu includes things referred to as Garbage, but since this is a reference to the amount of toppings used and not their quality it is a good thing. 

I decided to eat light, so I ordered a Corona, a garden salad, and something called a Pizza Pop. the service was fast, the beer and salad arrived right away with bread and dipping oil. I had ordered the creamy Garlic dressing, which in most places is white, in some places it actually has garlic in it. I looked at the salad when it arrived and noticed right away that there were Black olives and Kalamata olives in it, this was a nice touch. The garlic dressing here is orange--ish, sort of like a thousand Island color. I am not sure if they make their own dressing but is is fantastic and tastes as if it also has Kalamata olive ground up in it with the garlic. The bread came in a couple different types, both baked with a soft texture and the flavour of parmesan was present. The dipping oil was also good, it has thin slices of mushrooms in it. Not the Portabelo take a bite out of fungis earthy taste, but a mild flavour, like the mushrooms found in a mushroom soup, or a wine made in an area where mushrooms grow. it was a wonderful combination with the oil and spices. 

The Pizza pop I was to find out was essentially a small version of a Stromboli, It comes on a square plate baked so that the top is golden brown and slightly crispy while the rest is soft. It is served without sauce on it, the sauce comes on the plate in a Brown Halco polished steel gravy boat. The Pop was filled with sausage, red onions, peppers and mozzarella. I decided to eat the first half "sans-sauce". The second half, I tried with the sauce. The Pop can carry itself without the sauce without an issue, the sauce is good if used as a dip, like you do with a dipping oil. The only fault I found with Nino's, was the sauce. I am not sure if it is the same sauce used elsewhere on the menu, but is definitely devoid of spices, there was no hint of oregano, basil, thyme, marjoram, or rosemary. The sauce pretty much tastes like a tomato paste sauce combo...plain. but as I said, used as a dip with the Pop, the Pop's flavors handle the sauce issue.

I would go back again, as a mater of fact I will go back, possibly this weekend, definitely next week.

I did pick up one more item on my way out the door, 2 dozen Garlic knots. because garlic...is God.


I was offered a free slice as I waited for the knots, and it wasn't half bad,
bacon potato pizza...I mean come on...
it has bacon on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment